Wednesday, July 05, 2006

UFC 61 Bitter Rivals ~ The Predictions

Wahoo, it's been a great month for MMA, this Saturday will be no different. Bitter Rivals is headlining 2 re-match fights. Ken Shamrock will try and avenge his loss to Tito Ortiz, these 2 really hate each other. Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia will fight a 3rd time to see who the true champ is. This time around I have insight from my mma friend Krista who sent me her picks. As usuall MMA Krista is not to be confused with my fiancee Krista. You will notice if you hit the UFC's web-site, some of the records are different. I stick with Sherdog's records as they tend to be more consistant.


The Undercard, may not be shown on the telecast.



Hermes Franca 14-5-0

vs



Joe Jordan 19-9-2

Hermes Franca returns to the Octagon, I'm so glad the UFC is bringing back the 155ers, these guys are fast, tough and they don't bring the power that the big boys do but they are incredibly exciting to watch. Joe Jordan is a well rounded MMA'er who has a lot of fights under his belt. It will be interesting to see his reaction to being on a larger show. His record against other guys that have fights in the UFC is not that great, but a Draw with Josh Neer and Roger Huerta (who was supposed to be in this fight with Hermes) prove that he has been the distance with some good ones. He does also hold losses to Jorge Gurgel and Melvin Guillard, 2 people starting to shine in the UFC. I believe Hermes's (is it really Hermes's, that's great!) 4 previous fights, although 2-2, will give him that extra bit of composer that is so valuable in the fighting game. Plus, how could you vote against a guy named Hermes? I just can't do it. Krista has also picked Hermes in this one.



Gilbert 'El Peligro' Aldana 5-1

vs



Cheick Kongo 7-2-1

I've been waiting for Kongo to come to the UFC for a bit now. He brings 5 KO's in his 7 wins over to the Octagon to fight with Aldana who lost his 1st time in the UFC. Aldana went the better part of 2 rounds with heavy handed Paul Buentello, ultimately getting knocked out. I think this will be a great fight to watch, although we may not be watching it since it's an undercard fight. (advantage-PRIDE) I'm looking for Kongo to win this fight by delivering some heavy leg kicks that will open Aldana up for the big head shots. Krista did not pick this fight.




Jeff 'The Snowman' Monson 21-5

vs

Anthony 'The Hippo' Perosh 5-1

The Hippo? Come on, are you serious? Once upon a time the Snowman was 6-5 and at a crossroads in his career. He'd just lost to Ricco Rodriguez, Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell (with 1 win in the middle). That's UFC Champ, TUF Champ and UFC Champ for those of you at home. Since 2002 Monson has won 15 fights in a row. I don't see him losing this one either. Monson is more than likely in line to fight the winner of Sylvia/Arlovski depending on how the Mir/Henderson fight goes. Krista is taking The Hippo in this one.



Drew 'The Master' Fickett 26-4

vs



Kurt 'Batman' Pellegrino 6-1 (UFC has him at 13-1?)

I think Fickett is going to add 1 to his 16 submission victories, he's been in the big fights with the big guys and I don't know that Batman will have the right gadgets to get out of this situation. I just can't wait to hear Joe Rogan say "holy omoplata's, Batman's tapping!" If you are playing the Joe Rogan drinking game you will have to finish your drink if he says that, you will also have to send me a dollar. Krista did not pick this one.


And now for the main card!!!!!!




Yves Edwards 29-10-1

vs



Joe Stevenson 24-7

This 155 pound battle should be another great and exciting fight. If you read this blog you know I love Thugjitsu and Yves Edwards, can he stop Joe from taking him down though? That is the biggest question. If Joe gets him to the ground it's going to be a long hard fight. I think that Yves took his last UFC opponent, Mark Homminick, a little to light. A mistake I don't see him repeating. Yves is well rounded wih 12 KO's and 10 submissions, it's gonna be a KO in this one. Krista also has Edwards.



Josh 'The People's Warrior' Burkman 6-3

vs



Josh 'The Dentist' Neer 17-3-1

It is rumoured that the loser of this fight has to change his name from Josh. Burkman is coming off a loss to Drew Fitch, a loss that came with 3 seconds left in the 2nd round. Josh Neer is coming off victories over Melvin Guillard and TUF Champ Joe Stevenson. I see Neer keeping his streak alive and coming out on top in this one, although I like Burkman since he's from Team Quest. It will be interesting to see how Tito's training will effect his conditioning and this fight. It may be the edge he needs to prove me wrong. Krista also has Neer in this fight.



Dan 'The Sandman' Chistison 8-3

vs



Frank Mir 8-2

Here are 2 big heavyweights, Dan is one of the biggest at 6ft 8in and 265 pounds. I'm hoping this is one of those fights where 2 good submission guys go toe to toe. Big Dan's gotta keep Mir at bay with his long reach. I may have an opportunity to talk to big Dan tomorrow afternoon, if I do I'll bring you all the last minute comments. I don't want to take up to much of his time right before a fight though. Mir is coming of a loss after a motor cycle injury that sidelined him for over a year. He still has a small claim to the title since he was never beat for it. If he wins I believe they will give him the next title shot. If Dan wins I think the shot should go to Monson, I think Dan will have earned it, but I'd like him to have another fight or 2 before stepping up in talent to face the winner. I've got Dan in this one, Krista's got Mir.

And now what's being billed as the co-main event of the evening.



Tito 'The Huntington Beach Badboy' Ortiz 13-4

vs



Ken 'The Worlds Most Dangerous Man' Shamrock 26-10-2

In the promo world it just doesn't get any better than this. 2 guys that really hate each other. The UFC milked it for ratings on The Ultimate Fighter 3 and now they will milk it for PPV's at UFC 61 Bitter Rivals. This fight may be just a little over hyped though. Shamrock's and old school fighter, he's 42 years old and he's lost 5 of his last 7 fights. Tito is coming from 2 losses (Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell), 2 split decision victories (Vitor Belfort and Forrest Griffin, I personally thought he lost the Belfort fight) and a unanimous decision over Patrick Cote. I really think that this is a lose lose for Tito. Either he wins a fight that everyone thinks he's gonna win or he loses. Man if he loses it will be ugly. I think Tito has got to KO Shamrock very early, either with 1 devastating punch or a completely devastating 1-2 minute performance that turns Sharmock inside out. Shamrock's a good fighter so he always has a chance, maybe a 1/2 a percent in this one. As much as I'd like to see Tito get KO'd 1 time it won't happen today. Tito's fantasy of ending Shamrock's career may just come true on Saturday. I've got Tito in this one, as does Krista and every other MMA fan I know.

The Real Main Event -

With all the hype going out about the Tito and Ken fight people are actually overlooking a pretty damn good match up.....



Tim 'The Maine-iac' Sylvia 21-2 and current UFC Champ

vs



Andrei 'The Pitbull' Arlovski 9-4 and former UFC Champ

Fight #1 saw Arlovski drop Sylvia with a big right hand, drop in on him and end the fight with an Achilles Lock. Fight #2 saw Andrei land the big right again, sending Sylvia to the mat, this time Sylvia got up and landed a short right that Andrei walked right into, this caused him to drop face 1st in flash KO fashion. Both guys have tremendous power, they have proven that they can knock each other off their feet. I think both of them have learned their lesson and both will be a little cautious and try and fight the fight they want. With 25 KO's between them you can imagine how this fight will go. I think Arlovski will win back his title, but it definately wont be easy. These guys are good and this should be a great fight. Much better than the over hyped Tito v Shamrock. Krista has taken Sylvia in this one so we shall see how it all turns out on Saturday!

1 Comments:

Blogger Just Larry said...

Dude, if you're still around shoot me an email at:

Shortandfat1 at gmail dot com

I gotta question.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home