Saturday, August 06, 2005

Self Defense for Women Part 2

OK, hopefully some of you are still with me. Here's where a lot of women get turned off by what I say. We talked about the differnences in striking and grappling. The big question again is what can YOU accomplish against an attacker.
Allow me to generalize for one moment. Most women cannot stand toe to toe and trade punches and kicks with a man. If you are one who can, more power to you. If you are one who cannot why take a martial art that requires you to do so. There are many Tae Kwon Do and Karate instructors who will tell you that you can be taught to do this, and you probably can. But you still have to land that perfect punch at the right time to the right place.
Submission Grappling requires little strength and allows smaller and weaker opponents to control an attacker in that situation. In my 1st article I mentioned that my 6 year old daughter could throw an armbar submission, I have now taught her the mechanics of a rear naked choke. When she gets it on I cannot breath. Now I am not trying to suggest that she could fend off an attacker now, but those 16 year old boys better watch themselves when she gets to that age and has some size to back up her technique.
If you are looking to take self defense I urge you to check out several types of martial arts. If you are here in Nashville there is a studio called Nashville Mixed Martial Arts that offers Jui-Jitsu, Kickboxing and Boxing at the 100 Oaks Malls. Several of the instructors there are current Mixed Martial Arts fighters and have a lot of practical experience.
As always feel free to email or comment if you have any questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home